Traditional Chinese Wedding

Last Saturday, 2-Feb-08, I joined in to my cousin's wedding. Becoming one of the helper, I wake up at 5.30am in the morning, and reach her house before 6.30am.

She is still sitting in front of the mirror, being make up by the make up artist. One videographer is standing there, taking videos of the day.

My uncles offer ask some 'kueh' as breakfast but I could hardly have any appetite to eat anything.. Hehehe, so he make milo for me. As I don't know how to drink hot milo, again, I bothered him and ask for ice. So, hehe, yaya, I know.. Milo peng at 6.30 in the morning!!! Again, no photos of the kueh as I'm too sleepy to think about taking any photos.. Hehehe.....

Then, the match maker ask us to take out and get ready everything that need to be sent over to the groom's house. I took some of the photos. It include a knapsack with jewelry, clothing and 2 white cloth (not sure what is the meaning of the white cloth), a decoration with a hens, things to use, a candle (don't know how to call it).....Not sure what is the meaning

Candle, I guess it represent the loves
I think this represent that the bride will give birth fast kua... not sure...

Ok, the next event is the bride need to eat white rice and to use their hand and take some coins from the plate. Not sure what that means too. First is the eldest son that would get the coins. Then the youngest and last is the bride. There should be some remaining, representing some leftover for the parents (I think).


The bridegroom reach there around 7am, but as they forgets to bring the flowers, so they went back to get it. The groom are forbidden to enter the house without the flowers. 10 minutes later, the groom's are back with flowers. Coming in, knocking the room door of the bride, asking for her hands. Then, the groom would give the flowers to the bride and the bride would pin a flower on the guy's chest. I did not manage to take any snap of photos on this. Main reason is I'm too short and there is someone taller in front of me :(


Before leaving, the bride would serve her parents the last tea in representing respect as they brought her up since small.

Reaching the groom's house, they invites us for breakfast. I was given one big bowl of "manisan"... It takes all my energy to finish them oh!!!

The couples are in their room, first lit up the candles and put it at the table (not sure what it means). Then, they would sit there and the groom would bring in breakfast for the bride. Guest would come in to the room and greet the couple congratulations.

After a while, both couple would need to go and send their greetings to the late ancestors. After that is the tea ceremony. Starting with the eldest down to the youngest. Elder would gives ang pau while young one will receive ang pau from the couple.

Later, we went back to the bride's house for the tea ceremony. I don't know why but everyone cannot meet the bride face to face. So we all hide at the back of the house. After the bride is in the house then we can go out. The tea ceremony starts few minutes later. Starting with the relatives from the bride's father side, then the bride's mother side, from the elder to young one.

I guess traditional wedding is very complicated. I am lost most of the time and just do what others instruct me to do .. Hehehe, well I hope my dad won't be that traditional and asked me to go for a traditional wedding. It is so complicated!!!

Oh ya, before I end this posting, I'm glad that I joined the celebration.. This is the firstime I met triplets!!! My cousin's husband + his brother + a sister .. They are triplet twins !!!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Confession - St. Mark's Church, Batu Kawa

Cozy Cafe, Jalan Song

'Ma Li Chai'/'Mani Chai', also known as Cangkuk Manis