Teaching Maths and Science - English vs BM?

Frankly speaking, I really don't get it why small things like this can create so much unnecessary chaos. What's the problem of having Maths and Science in English? Just because we are in M'sia and we should respect and use BM 100%?

The truth, I take myself as a victim of this BM for Maths and Science. I'm not anti-BM. I love BM. I like to study all the 'peribahasa' and the 'bahasa klasik'. But, having BM language for Maths and Science really make me lost interest of Maths. Why? Let me elaborate....

Since primary school, I love mathematics. I never gets less than 80% in maths. In secondary, we had an option to get other subjects to replace Ad Maths. But, I prefer to stick with Ad Maths. I love ad maths. I never gets less than 70% in ad maths. I'm very proud of my maths. Proudly, I am one of the four in the school that gets 1 in ad maths. And I feel praised because I'm the only one in 5Science2 to get 1 in ad-maths. But things got the opposite way. When I got into Curtin, I get miserably stress up with Calculus subject. Calculus is one of the subject which is compulsory to get my BSc. Guess what.. From a good maths student, I became the worst maths student!!! Why? Well, I had difficulties to translate all my knowledge in ad-maths which I learnt in BM into the term in English! Things like kebarangkalian means probability, kuasa dua means square and so on. I got so annoyed and extremely stress up. I even fail my final exam for Calculus!!

I still remember it takes me 1 weeks to accept the facts that I actually fail Calculus. Maths is the only subject that I never get less than 70% and now I failed it just because of language?

For me, I vote for teaching Maths in English. Not because it can helps in English but for future sake as majority teaching in uni is in English. Teaching maths won't really helps in improving English. Communication in English is the key to help a person to improve their English.

This is just my opinion.. So for those who don't agree, well, it's your call....

Comments

Rose world said…
yeah, some people just make noise out of nothing. See how bad our teachers are, unable to convey in English and have difficulty teaching those 2 subjects in the language. Sigh!!!
Dav DiDi said…
Yalor .. i think those ppl just want to get some people attention ... but what they do is really meaningless..
Teaching science and maths in English can have grave effects on Malaysia. Read my latest blog entry to find out more.

Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

The First Confession - St. Mark's Church, Batu Kawa

Cozy Cafe, Jalan Song

'Ma Li Chai'/'Mani Chai', also known as Cangkuk Manis